Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Youtube Obsession

Hey guys, so I was thinking about what nonsense to blab about today and decided to make a list of my favorite websites instead. Yeah, my brain just works that way; don't judge. While going through my links I realized, hey, I might just have a problem. Over half, OK more like two-thirds, of the links were for Youtube people. So, I decided to do a post highlighting five talented uploaders that you should definitely check out. These are in no certain order.

Hank and John Green
If the Vlogbrothers aren't on your subscription list stop reading this now and go add them. Seriously. This duo, comprised of brothers John who is an author and Hank who is a musician, is intelligent, funny, relevant, and successful. Among other things they are the founders of VidCon which is the largest gathering of members of the online video world. The annual convention is routinely sold out 2-3 months in advance.

Philip DeFranco
Philip DeFranco, star of the Philip Defranco Show (PDS), has become an internet celebrity. His videos feature current news with a humorous spin (think a younger and less rehearsed Jon Stewart). It's sad, but more pleasant, really that I get most of my news from him. He also has a spin off channel, Like Totally Awesome (LTA), which started off reviewing video games but has morphed into a very successful movie club.


Samantha and Nicola Chapman
Pixiwoo, is again, a team of talented siblings. This time funny, charismatic sisters from the UK. They are makeup artists that film tutorials as well as product reviews. Simple things make me love them, for example, that they pull their hair out of the way when doing a tutorial. Very useful stuff.


Vi Hart
Vihart blows my mind. She calls herself a recreational mathematician. On her website she says that her hobby is mathematics, with special interests in symmetry, polyhedra, and surreal complexity. Ummm, who has hobbies like that?! I hope one day she has something named after her. Her videos explain sometimes complicated math concepts in an entertaining and, most importantly, an understandable way. Don't get me wrong, I like math and have taken more classes on advance math than the average person but sometimes it all becomes too much and my head wants to melt. I don't get that with Vi. I particularly love her Binary Hand Dance. Watch it and be entertained.


Evan, Andrew, Michael, and Sarah Gregory
And last but not least, who can forget such internet sensations as "hide yo kids, hide yo wife"? Schmoyoho is a quartet of three brothers, Evan, Andrew, and Michael Gregory, along with Sarah Gregory who is now married to Evan. They specialize in auto-tuning real news clips which result in humorous and catchy songs.


No comments:

Post a Comment